If you’ve run into any Dallas-area parents applying their children to private school then you know what’s looming……private school acceptance and rejection letters go out this Friday. The culmination of the lengthy application process revealed in a thick or thin envelope, or even possibly a phone call or email.
As you spend the next few days in limbo here are some things to consider.
If your child is accepted:
- take a deep breath…and celebrate!
- read the letter carefully and pay close attention to the date the contract & deposit are due
- be sensitive to other families going through the same process – before you post the news on Facebook or put the school sticker on your car consider how you would feel if your child hadn’t received the same news
If you child is wait listed:
- take a deep breath…and try to keep it together!
- show your interest – call the school and let them know you are very interested and would like your child to attend
- create a fallback plan – call or email me for help in coming up with alternatives
If you child is rejected:
- take a deep breath…and don’t panic!
- regroup & consider your other options – did your child get into any other schools? Can he stay where he is? Call or email me for help in creating a backup plan
- be the bigger person – congratulate friends whose children did get in
- see the bigger picture! there’s no denying it, it’s heartbreaking right now – just remember that your child’s happiness and success in life does not depend on getting into one certain school – you can’t see it now, but it will all work out in the end
© Eleanor Munson, PhD. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Eleanor Munson, PhD is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Eleanor Munson, PhD with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.